Monday, September 26, 2005

Porch Swings and Sunrises

Every once in a while when the library gets boring I take off down Valencia Blvd. for a grande lowfat toffee nut latte. Yes, I have become that L.A. guy who drinks lowfat (sometimes... non fat, shhhhh!). This morning was a little bit different as I sat there thinking about this past weekend and all that God used for His glory in my sanctification, and the communal fellowship our Bible Study enjoyed together around the Scripture. Just sitting there I started thinking about all of the things that I'm thankful for, and that's where this comes from...

A few things that I'm so very thankful for...

Starbucks, not just because I work there, but we do have really good coffee. I'm thankful for big green umbrellas, trash cans, and clouds that block the sun and sometimes drop water on my windshield. I love watching birds eat crumbs from a reduced fat cinnamon swirl coffee cake a lady enjoyed, reminding me of God's providence in my own life, and in those of the people that mean a lot to me (Phil. 4:19). I'm so very thankful for the guys and gals that remind me daily of the reason I'm here, inevitably pointing me back to the cross. I'm thankful for parents who care about me, even when I tell them they're wrong, they aren't. I'm thankful for Christ-centered girls that show me what I should be looking for in a wife, and in a way I'm thankful for superficial girls that show me what not to pay attention to. I'm thankful for rain. I'm continually indebted to men, both living and dead, who set the bar of holiness that truly examples a life lived "above reproach" (1 Tim. 3:2, Titus 1:7). I'm thankful for the public community college that allows me to experience the secular world as a Christian student... and I'm thankful for the private Christian school that I'll soon attend that allows me to study the Scriptures for what my God has actually said. Music: piano and guitar, lyrics that point me to Christ. Songs that are made to please the Father and proclaim the good news, not merely stir up emotion and shallow affections. I love rain. I'm thankful for mountains, grass, and waterfalls, big rocks and sand. I love Pine trees, porches, porch swings, rocking chairs and sleeping bags. Big comfy couches and FIREPLACES! I love muffins in the morning and sandwiches for lunch. Two words: Dr. Pepper. I love cabins with wood floors and having absolutely no street lights - stars are awesome on Bible study retreats! I love good movies, blankets, and books. I usually get frustrated with computers, but I'm thankful for the technology that God has provided and can use for the further advancement of the gospel. I'm thankful for airplanes, airports, and luggage (even the people who lose mine, God loves them, I will too). I love tiny bottles of water and the itchy pillows in the pocket in front of you. I love snoring old men who lean their seat all the way back, I'll be there one day. I love internet telephone that lets me talk to friends on the other side of the world, for free. I love my dog, other people's cats, and funny little kids. I hate homework, but love turning it in. I'm thankful for cars, grandparents, and college football! Did I mention rain? Sweatshirts, flip flops, and sales at the GAP®. Old Navy® jeans and those cool track jackets that are warm and super comfy. I'm thankful for friends who care enough to study, and employee discounts. I like naps, but only when it's cold outside. Tin roofs are great, especially in the rain! I LOVE fishing and barbeque. Sausage is a gift of grace and bacon ain't far behind. I love all of these things, and they are all indisputably gracious gifts from a loving God... but the real gift is the joy we get in them, because they remind us of the Provider. I pray we always dwell on the things that are imperishable; they make us look differently at that which is passing away. Sola gratia! Jude 24, 25

No comments: