Wednesday, August 24, 2005

As Random as it Gets

Here are a few extremely random thoughts that I wanted to share, yet none of them were important enough to make into a full post. Hopefully these won't bore y'all...

(In no particular order)

1. All my life I've grown up morally opposed to country music. Maybe it's because I grew up mostly in Texas where everyone is expected to love it. Or maybe it's because many of the lyrics sounded like my neighbors, or sometimes even worse, my own family! Nevertheless, I've come to admit that I really like two specific songs, Bless the Broken Road by Rascal Flatts and Something Like That by Tim McGraw. Don't sign me up for an Alan Jackson concert anytime soon, but I'm starting to think that all country ain't as bad as I thought.

2. It's amazing how many people ask me, "is there anything that people do when they come to Starbucks that bothers you guys?" Yes, there most certainly is. So for the benefit of both customer and "partner," here we go!

Confessions of a Barista: things that drive us crazy (though I absolutely do not stand alone on any of these issues, the following do NOT reflect the opinions and/or attitudes of Starbucks Coffee Co.®)...

- people that hold up the line deciding what they want, when they've been standing in it for the past 15-20 minutes.

- people that take 10 orders from their cell phone while standing in front of 5 or 6 other customers who have actually come into the store like everyone else.

- people who do this: 10:22PM, "RING, RING... hi, what time do you guys close? '10:30.' Okay, we're in Hollywood, we'll be there in 10 minutes!"

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm confident there's more to come!

3. I'm pretty much convinced that the Resolved Conference is the absolute best use of $125 that anyone can spend (obviously with the exception of medication or something in that category). I don't mean this is my opinion, I'm pretty sure this is objectively indisputable. If you're thinking about coming to Resolved, don't. Stop thinking and just do it. I PROMISE if you're a Christian, you won't be disappointed!

4. The Master's College is the best school in the world, period. Visit sometime over the next two days and I don't think you'll need any further explanation!

5. I'm debating over whether I should miss 3 days of school and go to a Bible conference that I want to go to VERY badly. This is one of those times when my dad refuses to say, "Go for it," or "No way." He just says, "you're 19, it's your call dude." I love my dad, he actually did use "dude." haha.

6. I highly recommend downloading Real Player® so y'all can listen to streaming audio sermons preached at Grace Bible Church of Brandon, FL. Most of the time they come from their senior Pastor, Chris Pixley; but recently my dear brother Paul Shirley delivered one of the most clearly articulated messages on James 1 that I've ever heard. I pray it edifies your heart and shapes your worldview Biblically as it has mine. Sola Scriptura!

Thanks so much for reading, even though this was random and maybe a totally unprofitable use of your time! Y'all have a great time worshipping our great God the rest of this week and rejoicing in all that He allows us to experience for His glory in Christ Jesus! (Romans 6:15-18)

4 comments:

Paul said...

Morgan,
I used to say the exact same thing about country music (I hated it) then I did what you are doing, now it takes up 4 of my pre-set channels in the car.

And I am sorry that I take so long in line at FourBucks. All those fancy words confuse me (see Barista).

You don't need to ask you dad anymore, I have the answer for you. Yes you need to come. As a former College student let me help you get over a "freshman thing." It is ok to skip town every once in a while for a good cause (i.e. bible conference; or baseball game; or football; or anything). As long as it is not going to hurt your grades in the long run. And I think that you will be jsut fine with that.

Thanks for the compliment. It means quite a bit to a have a discerning brother, like yourself, pay me a compliment like that.

Blessings,
Paul

Morgan said...

haha! thanks y'all - let's just say the check's in the mail!

Lindsey said...

This totally cracked me up. It's like my post of "rules for people being interviewed" b/c I was getting so annoyed with wierd people coming in and wasting my time.

Great post.

Unknown said...

Resolved was great. 2007 should be just as great. Check out these Resolved t-shirts that I had made up.

Resolved #6rlxbf